jakarta-oro-dev mailing list archives

From Jon Stevens <...@latchkey.com>
Subject Re: Yow... No More Java 1.1 Support?
Date Thu, 10 May 2001 20:09:42 GMT
on 5/10/01 12:30 PM, "Mark F. Murphy" <markm@tyrell.com> wrote:

> At 11:45 AM -0700 5/10/01, Jon Stevens wrote:
>> Oh come on. Upgrade your JDK. You have had warning that the support would go
>> away.
>>
>> JDK 1.2 has been out for *years* now and is supported on all the major
>> platforms except MacOS9.
>
> Not very helpful.
>
> There are *deployment* situations where it is not possible to upgrade the JDK.
>
> For example, some software written in Java might have dependencies on
> a particular JDK and not be certified to work in newer JDKs.

Right...and my point is that you have had *years* to test things.

> I realize that a *warning* was given...

Exactly.

> I'm questioning what is gained by making Jakarta-Ora *not* compatible
> with JDK 1.1?

We can take advantage of JDK 1.2 features.

> Switching from Vector to ArrayList hardly seems like a *reason*.
>
> I could understand the reliance on JDK 1.2 if there was a compelling
> reason... like performance... some class that was in 1.2 that was
> absolutely necessary.
>
> But we are talking a regex package here.
>
> Most C based regex packages are done with just C.

C != Java

> Haven't you ever run into a deployment situation where you were stuck
> with an older version of a dev system or dependent libraries?

Not with Java. All my JDK 1.1 code instantly worked on JDK 1.2 and 1.3
without any problems other than maybe a re-compile. Java is great at forward
compatibility.

Let me guess...you also still use Windows 3.1.

Nearly *every* project within Jakarta now has a dependency on JDK 1.2. Time
for you to upgrade sir.

-jon

your pain to new levels. --Anonymous