jakarta-oro-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel F. Savarese" <...@savarese.org>
Subject Re: Recent @version changes...
Date Mon, 21 May 2001 00:36:12 GMT
>One reason to use $Id: $ instead of the actual version is that in the Open
>Source world, someone could be downloading your source code from CVS and
>working with that. Then, if they report a bug, the @version of the file
>won't be anything meaningful, where as if you keep the $Id: $ there, the
>result is indeed something meaningful.

I think the API documentation should really reference the release version.
If you're working with the source, the Id is in the source file.  I prefer
to place the Id at the very top of the file, but Jakarta conventions
dictate that the license appear first, so I placed it after the
license.  My view is that release versions are for consumers of the product
(hence the need for it in the documentation), CVS versions are for developers
(hence the need for it in the source).  The @version of the file won't be
meaningful to anyone working with the source anyway because it gets generated
via an ant substitution in the javadocs (replaces @version@ with the release
version).  So anyone working with the source will have to use the Id tag no
matter what.  I don't believe there's any conflict with what you're saying.

daniel