jakarta-oro-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel F. Savarese" <...@savarese.org>
Subject Re: Yow... No More Java 1.1 Support?
Date Thu, 10 May 2001 23:56:59 GMT

I think that's great, but it doesn't work for what I was talking about.
But that's because I buried the reference to it in one of the too many
emails that I've written today.  To support J2ME CLDC you need to replace
methods that no longer exist even if the classes themselves exist.
In addition, some interfaces that you implement
(e.g., java.io.Serializable), are no longer available.  Right now,
for jakarta-oro, it's just Character.isWhitespace and java.io.Serializable.
But for the general case, which includes debugging code that gets turned
not just on and off but has varying levels [the if(debug) approach is
flawed for reasons discussed in many an article, including some of mine],
it can be a huge cascade of problems.  There are ways of working around
the stuff, but they all take longer to implement and add runtime overheads
to your programs when what you need is a compile time mechanism.

>    Write your .java code using the latest API's (ie: Java2). Use Ant's
>    <replace> tag to find/replace the imports relating to the Collection's
>    API and then conditionally include the collections.jar file depending on
>    what JDK you are using.

Ok, so you do support the use of a preprocessor :)  Java programmers
keep on working around the problem and a search and replace is just
a preprocessing step.  At any rate, for non-jakarta projects,
I've used perl scripts to handle the problem, but I think it's still an open
problem for the general "all i've got is java,javac and your source code that
i want to compile" case.  For jakarta-oro, I think we can accommodate the
needs with just <replace> and judicious tracking of the limited set of
things requiring changing.  My attitude has always been pretty bad.
I always figured somone else would solve the problem and that eventually
Sun would coopt what they'd done by replacing their solution with
something of their own device, the way they've done before.  Anyway,
thanks for offering your take on the topic.

over and out :)
daniel