jakarta-oro-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel F. Savarese" <...@savarese.org>
Subject Re: multiline matches
Date Sat, 02 Sep 2000 06:15:40 GMT

>I am trying to use ^ and $ with a multiline string.
>Passing Perl5Compiler.MULTILINE_MASK to the compile
>method seems to have no effect.  However, doing
>setMultiline(true) on the matcher seems to work.
>Is this a known bug?

Without a code example, I can't tell what you mean when you say it
doesn't work.  Perl5Compiler.MULTILINE_MASK corresponds to the Perl5
/m modifier and setMultiline(true) corresponds to the Perl $* variable.
It's possible a bug may have been introduced that wasn't present in
OROMatcher when it was being converted to Jakarta-ORO because the
default behavior of ^, $, and . was changed to match that of Perl because
it deviated slightly through an oversight.

After a quick test it looks like the behavior ^ with MULTILINE_MASK
got messed up in the transition to Jakarta-ORO.  I can probably fix
it pretty quickly, but I've got to talk to Jon about getting commit
privileges because I can't commit code right now.

OK, while writing this email I looked at it.  I've attached a patch.
Please test it out and make sure it works for your case.  I'll talk to
Jon about doing commits.

daniel