jakarta-oro-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel F. Savarese" <...@savarese.org>
Subject Getting up to speed
Date Thu, 17 Aug 2000 03:04:23 GMT

Hi all,

I'm in the middle of writing a book so it's taken me three weeks to
get around to subscribing to the list.  Is there an archive of the
list anywhere so I can get up to speed on what, if anything, has been
discussed?  I don't see any evidence of an archive on jakarta.apache.org,
but I probably didn't look hard enough.

Another stupid question: Are there any issues doing a cvs pserver checkout
through a firewall?  I can't get past the cvs login stage (it just hangs).

I suspect there are not many people subscribed to this list yet.  I
haven't had time to update the ORO web pages to indicate that this is
where all future development is happening. I also would like to post an
announcement to comp.lang.java.programmer because I'm still getting a
lot of support questions at oroinc.com.

I'd like to get the ball rolling on the future development of jakarta-oro.
I have to make a list of possible bugs and documentation mistakes that
I've got pending from the OROMatcher/PerlTools days and post that.  There's
also a bunch of FAQs that need to go into the FAQomatic.  After taking care
of those, the big project is to get the org.apache.oro.text.regex package
compatible with Perl 5.6.  One of the first things that needs to go in
that everyone has been clamoring for and I've been promising but not
finding the time to do is to get full Unicode support into character
sets.  They currently only support 8-bit character values a la Perl 5.003.
If you have a list of things you'd like to see happen, post it to the
mailing list and let's merge, discuss, prioritize, and divide up the work.

OK, let me step back a second.  I'm assuming that everyone wants this
org.apache.oro.text.regex to be Perl 5.6 compatible.  The main goals
of the original package was to provide complete Perl compatibility first,
an efficient implementation second, and an easy to use API third.  If
you can think of any reason to discontinue tracking Perl's changes to
its regular expression syntax, please speak up.

I don't know how much interest there is in the .text and .awk packages,
but the .regex and .perl packages are what most people use.  The .perl
package, really just the Perl5Util class, can be worked on independently
of the .regex package and it would be nice if someone would step up to
work on it.  I suspect I'll have to be the primary developer on the
.regex package because the code is pretty dense.  Off the top of my head,
some stuff that needs fixing in Perl5Util are getting to the bottom of
the obscure backslashing bug, making pattern caching more efficient,
and fixing some of the stale documentation.

I'll try to put a proper list of stuff together over the next week.
Mostly I just wanted to say hi and see if anyone's on the list yet.
As far as my CVS question goes, I just logged into my firewall and
tried doing a checkout from there, so there is an issue.  Anyone
know a quick solution for doing checkouts from behind a firewall
or should I just go see if this is a CVS FAQ?

daniel