jakarta-jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From "Tomasz Pik" <tom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Contribution?
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2007 23:05:14 GMT
On 10/6/07, Jan Riis <jri@lakeside.dk> wrote:
> Hi JMeter developers
>
> For the last year or so, we have been working on a simple
> load/scalability/endurance test plugin for Maven based on JMeter. It is very
> easy to use and produces very powerfull reports - at least for our library.
>
> It is essentially a Maven plugin (or could become one) that runs JMeter and
> postprocesses the logs to generate nice HTML graphs using JFreeChart. Have a
> look here:
>
> http://www.sosi.dk/sosi/seal/jmeter-scalability-report.html
> http://www.sosi.dk/sosi/seal/jmeter-endurance-report.html
> http://www.sosi.dk/sosi/seal/jmeter-response-report.html
>
> (Please bear over with some of the disturbances in the graphs. We have just
> moved the build to a new server where there are some parallel processes
> running over the night)
>
> The reports are made as part of our nightly build (using CruiseControl maven
> and JFreeChart). The setup is more or less a simple "profile" over JMeter,
> where you simply point out a set of unit tests that you want to
> performancetest focusing on a few important aspects (responsetime,
> scalability and endurance/leakage). Simple but powerfull and I suppose it
> could be beneficial for many projects, not just ours.
>
> The questions are:
> 1) Is this a possible contribution?
> 2) If so, is it a contribution to JMeter or Maven?

Probably JMeter would be a best location for such a tool
(a subproject under JMeter).
As a being a part of Maven - there's a mojo.codehaus.org,
a kind of sister project to maven.apache.org, hosting maven2 plugins
for various 'third party' tools and libraries and also some maven2
but not 'core' plugins and I'd call it a 'second option'.

> 3) If you're interested, how do we get going (we have never contributed to
> an Open Source project before, so please help us :-} )

For general Open Source things - if this plugin (those plugins) will
become a part of JMeter they must be licensed using Apache2 license
(like every apache project, see http://www.apache.org/licenses/).
On mojo.codehaus.org you may choose other license if Apache2 won't work
for you (see http://mojo.codehaus.org/faq.html).

One thing that I'm not sure is how this could become a part
of JMeter, perhaps it should goes through http://incubator.apache.org.

Regards,
Tomek

PS1 I'm not speaking on behalf of Apache Software Foundation, just
as an email list subscriber.
PS2 Could you please put this plugin somewhere?
I'd be very interest to take a look - it looks very interesting.