jakarta-jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From peter lin <jmw00l...@yahoo.com>
Subject [Proposal] for after 2.0 release
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2004 13:40:26 GMT

hey guys,

I've been working on a monitor plugin for Tomcat and would like to propose some possible changes.
I making steady progress on it, but it will be a couple weeks before I get a working alpha.
I have a screenshot here http://cvs.apache.org/~woolfel/monitor-comp.gif

Here is what I'm doing to give the proposal a context.

1. use schema and jaxb to parse Tomcat's XML output from the status servlet
2. new visualizer called monitor results.
    I. two tabs: health, performance
    II. health is the current state
    III. performance is historical
3. new model for monitor. right now it's called MonitorModel
4. New performance graph that only shows a block of time. for example 2 hr block.
5. the new perf. graph would be capable of scrolling left/right
6. I want the monitor gui related classes to avoid parsing non-status response data. trying
to parse data that isn't XML or not status data would throw a JAXBException
7. I want to write a new ResultCollector that uses java.nio.Channels. This way it can load
just what it needs and avoid having all the results in memory.

For a user to use JMeter as a monitor, it needs to be able to run for months without eating
all the memory. I figure it would also make life easier for users running very long stress
tests. The downside is the graph wouldn't be able to show Standard Deviation, since that requires
all the data to calculate it correctly. The new graph wouldn't replace the existing results
graph, since it is still useful and provides details the new one wouldn't have. to make that
happen, I think AbstractVisualizer would need to declare the ResultCollector as protected
and allow subclasses to override .createTestElement.

peter lin