jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From Chopin hu <hucho...@yahoo.com>
Subject JCS Key Length Issue -- limited to 256 characters long?
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2012 17:12:09 GMT
I have a program to download files from remote sites.   Once downloaded a data file, I use
the URL as a key and put it to the cache so that I don't have to download it again if the
url is found to exist in the cache.   However, I found sometimes the caching would fail
-- no caching is put to the file system ( I am using Disk File Cache).   the url is working
fine for downloading.   After debugging, it turns out that the URL string is too long.
When the url string exceeds 256 characters, JCS won't accept it as a proper key.

So my questions are:
1.) is a JCS cache key limited to 256 chars long?   is there a way to increase its length?
2.) If can not get around the cache key length limitation, what could be the possible ways
to make a long URL string short enough but still unique enough to serve as a key?  I tried
to use the last 256 characters from the url string, but some query string is so long that
it could not guarantee a key's uniqueness.

Any suggestions.