jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From Al Forbes <forbes...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: JCS vs ehcache
Date Fri, 25 Jun 2010 15:33:45 GMT
Hi,

Just my 2 cents worth...

JCS is generally stable enough for most people, so additional features are
not really that important. JCS has been proven in (really) high-volume
applications.

That said, there is not really any active development, and there are a few
temporary releases waiting for a more formal Apache style release. The JCS
source base is still based on JDK 1.3, so some of the ehcache sugar features
like REST, XML, JSON are unlikely to be released anytime soon. These
features are all relatively simple to implement in >JDK1.5. There is also
the dependency on concurrent.jar which could be dropped if JDK 1.5 was used.

ehcache seems to making progress and their web site definitely makes looks a
lot more interesting. I have not looked at ehcache in the last two years, so
I can't say much about ehcache performance.

I hope that helps...

Regards
Al