jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From GAME...@nationwide.com
Subject question on isSpool=true
Date Mon, 28 Dec 2009 16:46:25 GMT
Here is a typical cache region configuration for us:
jcs.region.lookupCache=DC2
jcs.region.lookupCache.cacheattributes=org.apache.jcs.engine.CompositeCacheAttributes
jcs.region.lookupCache.cacheattributes.MaxObjects=100
jcs.region.lookupCache.cacheattributes.MemoryCacheName=org.apache.jcs.engine.memory.lru.LRUMemoryCache
jcs.region.lookupCache.elementattributes=org.apache.jcs.engine.ElementAttributes
jcs.region.lookupCache.elementattributes.IsEternal=false
jcs.region.lookupCache.elementattributes.MaxLifeSeconds=500000
jcs.region.lookupCache.elementattributes.IdleTime=1
jcs.region.lookupCache.elementattributes.IsSpool=true
jcs.region.lookupCache.elementattributes.IsRemote=true
jcs.region.lookupCache.elementattributes.IsLateral=true

1. Can you confirm I am reading this correctly?
a. Some cached data (anything over 100 objects but within the
MaxLifeSeconds) will spill to disk, due to IsSpool = true
b. Although IsRemote and IsLateral are both set to true, it really does
not mean that cache will be remote or synchronized between multiple
servers since none of these aspects are configured

2. Can you clarify the implications of cached data "spilling" over to
disk? Once I have 101st object (in the example above) that cache
determines is going to be cached, does it  mean that, when I as a user of
this cache region do "getElement(101)", the caching framework will:
a. Determine that 101 is not in the cache
b. Send 1 LRUed object out to the disk cache (spill "cached" data to disk)
c. Cache in memory element 101

3. If the above sequence of events is correct, can I presume that 2a, 2b,
2c will be executed synchronously (i.e. the call to getElement will be
blocking until all a, b, and c operations are complete)? asynchronously?
Combination of thereof?

Thank you
Val