jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From "Tim Cronin" <Tim.Cro...@autonomy.com>
Subject RE: How to Cache A Physical File
Date Wed, 07 Oct 2009 21:58:15 GMT
If you're only using the memory cache you should be able to cache those
input streams, but you can't serialize them to disk as they have native
file handles tied to them.

You would need to wrap them and basically rebuild the input stream
completely.

It might just be simpler to cache the file name and build the input
stream.

If you're concerned about performance I think the reading will be the
biggest issue and not the creation of the input stream itself.

-----Original Message-----
From: fox1964 [mailto:huchopin@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 10:17 PM
To: jcs-users@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: How to Cache A Physical File

I have a large physical file downloaded to my server.   I'd like to
cache the
file so that my program can read faster.  I've configured JCS properly.
can see the "mycache.key" and "mycache.data" files are updated every
time I
use a string for both a key/value pair.    But how can I put a physical
file
into cache?   Right now, I use an "FileInputStream" object to read the
file,
and put into the cache.

FileInputStream input = new FileInputStream(file);
           cache.put(input);

This seems to go thru without prompting any error message.   But when I
tried to retrieve it, I got a message "java.lang.NullPointerException"
when
           cache.get(key);

I can see the mycache.key file updated, but can NOT see any updates in
mycache.data file by looking at the timestamp.

Any guru can show me what I may do wrong?   Or do you have any sample
code
to do this?   Thanks a lot in advance.