jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From Aaron Smuts <asm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Dynamic composition of JCS caches
Date Thu, 13 Aug 2009 14:14:13 GMT
Right now JCS can only be used as a Singleton.  I don't mean the JCS class, I mean the cache
itself.  The core of the cache is the CompositeCacheManager.  There can only be one instance
per VM.  It's responsible for configuring the cache regions.  (I'm working on making it so
that you can have multiple instances, but it's not completely ready yet.)

(The JCS class is simply a convenience class.  It's just an extension of the cache access
class.  The cache access class work on the CompositeCache objects that are created by the
CompositeCacheManager.)

You can configure the CompositeCacheManger with your custom properties object.  Then when
you call "JCS.getInstance( regionName )"  You will get access to the region configured by
the manager that you just configured.

Get an instance of the manger.  Call configure.  The singleton is now configured.  Use the
JCS class to get JCS region access.

Aaron