jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From Aaron Smuts <asm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: JCS HA cluster, is possible?
Date Tue, 11 Aug 2009 17:54:39 GMT

You can implement this very easily with a bit of client code.  In fact, I've done just this
elsewhere, or at least something very similar.

I have an installation that handles millions of items a day.  The items average 80k.  I don't
have disk space to keep them all on any one box.  So, I partitioned the data.  I did it this
way.

I took 8 boxes and setup 4 remote cache server primary/failover pairs.  (fyi. Each is configured
to use a jdbc disk cache backed by mysql running locally.)

Every client is configured with 4 remote cache client auxiliaries, one for each pair.

I configured 4 regions on the clients.  You could have far more.

I divided the remote clients between the regions.  Region 1 uses p/f pair A.  Region 2, B
. . .

(In another instance I have 180 regions divided between 4 remote servers.)

I decide what region to put the data in through a simple algorithm:  key mod numerOfPartitions
(here 4) = the region.

I named the regions in a pattern like this:

MyPartitionedData_0
MyPartitionedData_1
MyPartitionedData_2
MyPartitionedData_3

I take the suffic from the algorithm and put the data in the appropriate region.  I made a
simple abstraction that does just this.

I could add more partitions and reconfigure.  It can be scaled indefinitely. . ..

Perhaps I'll put in in the JCS util package.

Cheers,

Aaron