jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From Aaron Smuts <asm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: JCS Hangs on server shutdown.
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2008 15:53:08 GMT
On orderly shutdown, the cache will flush the memory contents to disk, if the region is configured
to use a disk cache.  These items will go into purgatory, the buffer on the way to disk.
The disk cache will try to persist the contents of purgatory to disk.  If you are using the
indexed disk cache or the block disk cache, it will also try to write the keys to disk.  By
default the shutdown process will give the disk cache 60 seconds to do this.  It's configurable.
  . . . Since you say that you have a lot of items in the cache, this might take a while.
. . .  Does it hang indefinitely?

If you use the UPDATE disk usage pattern, then the disk cache will only have to write the
keys, since all the items in memory will already be on disk.

You can also configure the disk cache to optimize the data store on shutdown.  I see that
you've turned this off.  That's fine.

Oh, and please use the latest version in the temp builds directory.  1.3 is missing tons of
new features.

Cheers,

Aaron