jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From "Michael Toback" <Michael.Tob...@chordiant.com>
Subject RE: Really stupid question - can I cache any random object?
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2008 04:17:01 GMT
Silly question about your stupid question. Is your object serializable?

-----Original Message-----
From: Bret Schuhmacher [mailto:Bret.Schuhmacher@lombardi.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 9:09 PM
To: jcs-users@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Really stupid question - can I cache any random object?

Can I cache *any* object?  I get exceptions when I attempt to cache
objects I've created, although I can cache simple objects like Strings.
Unfortunately cache.put(String foo, myCustomObject bar) doesn't tell me
much more than the name of the class I'm trying to cache (i.e.
"myCustomObject").  It doesn't tell me why it threw the exception, it
just prints a stacktrace.  Like I said - it all works fine if I do this:
cache.put("foo", "bar"), but if I do cache.put("foo", new
myCustomObject()) it will fail.  I've even cast myCustomObject back to
Object, but it still doesn't like it.  Any way to get more verbose
messages out of the JCS code instead of just ERROR level?

Thanks,

Bret

The information transmitted herewith is sensitive      information of Chordiant Software or
its customers and is intended only for use to the individual or entity to which it is addressed.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking
of any action in reliance upon, this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.