jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From "Tim Cronin" <tcro...@interwoven.com>
Subject RE: Best practice for linking Cache elements
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2007 14:39:54 GMT
thanks I'm looking into that.

-----Original Message-----
From: Horton Simon [mailto:Simon.Horton@uk.mizuho-sc.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 6:25 AM
To: JCS Users List
Subject: RE: Best practice for linking Cache elements

Hi Tim,

If you are able to use a String instead of an object as a key you could
take advantage of the following JCS feature. If you have written your
code to use the JCS cache via your own utility helper class, you could
perform the toString conversion of your object key to a String key in
this one place and not have to touch the rest of your code.

Below is from am older response which Aaron gave on the email group to
somebody else and could be just what you are after.

Q: Can I remove multiple entries from Cache in a single go?

A:Yes, but it is somewhat expensive, since some of the auxiliaries will
have to iterate over their keysets.

Although all the auxiliaries honor this, it is not
        part of the auxiliary API.  There is no method along
        the lins of "removeStartingWith", but all the remove
        methods can do it.

        By default, the hierarchical key delimiter used in JCS
        is a colon.  You cannot add a String key that ends
        with a colon.  If you call remove with a String key
        that ends in a colon, everything that has a key that
        starts with the argument will be removed.

        If your keys are in this format

        TYPE:SOURCE:OBJECT

        And you put n objects in the cache with keys like this

        "ABC:123:0"  to "ABC:123:n"

        then you could remove all the obejcts by calling

        jcs.remove( "ABC:123:" );

Regards,
Simon