jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From IT2Be <mar...@it2be.com>
Subject Is JCS suited for this purpose?
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2007 23:06:53 GMT

Hi,

I have an created a desktop application that, potentially, creates tens of
thousands of Objects.

Something like 20-30% of them contain textblocks than will contain up to
5.000 characters (wild guess).

Part of the Objects is loaded into memory per startup of the application and
the rest when called by the user. In the end it is possible that all objects
are in memory. Unfortunately this created out of memory errors with some
users, even if they grow the heapspace to 512 or even 1024mb.

Due to the nature of the application it is not really desirable to query
over the databases all the time apart from the fact that this would require
a significant rewrite of the application as well.

Question: is JCS suitable to use it to cache the objects on disk or do I
completely misinterpret the use of a disk cache system here.

Apologies when I am too fague but this is a completely new area to me and I
am really searching for a good solution for the problem so I hope somebody
can help me.

Thanks,

Marcel

In all honesty I must admit that I have been playing with ehcache as well.
However, whatever I did, the application became slow and used much more
memory then before. My test app without ehcache used something like 20mb of
memory but used over 256mb after adding ehcache with diskstorage. So I
trashed ehcache.