jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From Niall Gallagher <ni...@switchfire.com>
Subject Re: New Release w/o util.concurrent library?
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2007 17:11:26 GMT
At this point, we've had 9 responses on the poll below (including my own
response! :/). The sample group could be larger :/ but regardless here
is a summary:

JDK version in use / Respondents / Percentage of total
JDK 1.3:  1  (11%)
JDK 1.4:  3  (33%)
JDK 5.0/6.0:  5  (56%)

There are a reasonable number of people still using JDK 1.4.

If JDK was being built against JDK 1.4, I could provide patches to fix
networking issues seen on Red Hat Linux. JDK 1.4 is the minimum
requirement for fixing networking bugs in JCS.

Building JCS against JDK 5 however has additional benefits - technical
benefits such as being able to generify the core, but developer benefits
also because I'm sure that any developers coding against JDK 5 don't
like reverting to older coding styles to fix bugs in JCS.

If we look at other widely-used open source projects like Tomcat, we see
that they move trunk development to new versions of Java quite soon
after new JDKs are released. Tomcat's last JDK 1.4-compatible release
was in 2004; since then all new releases of Tomcat have required JDK 5.

Do any JCS core developers read this mailing list - are there any plans
to move JCS to JDK 1.4 or JDK 5?

Niall