jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From Pennstater <Mathew.R.Kl...@chase.com>
Subject RE: Configuring Lateral TCP Cache Using UDP Discovery for Two Physical Servers
Date Fri, 27 Apr 2007 18:01:17 GMT

All,

First, thanks to you both for your help.

I finally figured it out.  Turns out that the problem was with my
TcpListnerPort values.  Aaron, you asked if there were any errors binding to
the port, and I answered "no".  When I tested yestedrday, there didn't seem
to be any errors binding to a port, but today, I did notice an error.

So, I did a quick "netstat -a" and found that two of the ports I was using
were actually already being used (and established) from the webserver to our
database server.  D'OH!!!  I reconfigured the cache.ccf file with port
numbers, 11110, 11111, 11112, 11113 (added an aditional "1" to the
beginning).  My "netstat -a" scan showed nothing near that range, so
hopefully nothing will try and dynamically bind to that later on down the
road.

I restarted the webapps on each Tomcat, then did a "put" operation into the
cache from one of the Tomcat servers.  I then visited the webapp page that
shows the drop-down list populated from the cached object, and sure enough,
they were all updated on every Tomcat.  Thank goodness!!!

I am going to restart the Tomcat servers this weekend and monitor the logs,
but I feel pretty good about the progress made today.

One suggestion...  it may be helpful to put in the documentation that the
user should be aware of what value they assign to the TcpListenerPort.  I
"blindly" used what was in the examples, and in two out of our three
environments, it worked fine.  Also, I would imagine that if you have two or
more environments and they all use UDP Discovery, then the UDP Discovery
Address and UDP Discovery Port would need to be different between those
environments (please correct me if I am wrong.)

Again, thank you both for your time.

Matt