jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From "Jim Bethancourt" <jimbethanco...@gmail.com>
Subject Questions about distributed JCS caches and scalability
Date Mon, 08 Jan 2007 20:05:58 GMT
Hi all,
I was wondering if the TCP Lateral Cache and the RMI Remote Cache
auxiliary caches are designed to be replicate/near replicated caches
so each machine basically has its own copy of each piece of data? Do
these types of caches also have the ability to be
distributed/partitioned such that the data is located on one and only
one cache and can be accessed quickly by all other caches if they are
all using the same cache region?

Along these same lines, how scalable are the lateral/remote caches?
e.g. where/when do they start to show strain in terms of cache size (1
GB, 10 GB, 100 GB?), number of lateral/remote caches, and performance
as the number of lateral/remote caches grow?

If there are multiple JVMs on a machine using the same cache region,
how are they able to communicate with one another and how scalable is
that approach?  In addition, can / do they all use the same TCP
Lateral Cache or Remote Cache if they're all on the same machine?

I apologize for asking so many questions, but I couldn't find anything
related to my questions on the JCS website or the mailing list
archives after looking around for a while.

Thanks,
Jim