jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From Paul.Lewandow...@kohls.com
Subject Re: Out-of-memory errors
Date Fri, 10 Nov 2006 20:17:53 GMT
I fogot to include the little bit of information that was in the remote
cache server log....here is a typical entry sequence:

[WARN] IndexedDisk - -Resetting data file
[WARN] IndexedDisk - -Resetting data file
[WARN] IndexedDisk - -Resetting data file
[WARN] IndexedDisk - -Resetting data file
[WARN] IndexedDisk - -Resetting data file
[WARN] IndexedDisk - -Resetting data file
[WARN] IndexedDisk - -Resetting data file
[WARN] IndexedDisk - -Resetting data file
[WARN] IndexedDisk - -Resetting data file
[WARN] IndexedDisk - -Resetting data file
[WARN] IndexedDisk - -Resetting data file
[WARN] IndexedDisk - -Resetting data file
[WARN] IndexedDisk - -Resetting data file
[WARN] IndexedDisk - -Resetting data file
[WARN] IndexedDisk - -Resetting data file
[WARN] IndexedDisk - -Resetting data file
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
[WARN] IndexedDisk - -Resetting data file
[WARN] IndexedDisk - -Resetting data file
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

Paul

             Paul.Lewandowski@
             kohls.com
             11/10/2006 02:06          "JCS Users List"
             PM                        <jcs-users@jakarta.apache.org>
                                                                        cc

             "JCS Users List"          Out-of-memory errors
             <jcs-users@jakart
               a.apache.org>

Hi,

We've been using the JCS cache in our production environment for about 3
months and have noticed that every so often we get out-of-memory errors on
both the local application server (Websphere 4.0.7 running IBM JDK 1.3.1
SR5w) and the remote cache server (IBM JDK 1.3.1 SR8).

The error on the app server appears to be related to period when we need to
fail-over to a secondary remote cache server when we bounce our servers
once every 24 hours.  The exact error message in the app server log file
is:

[ERROR] RemoteCacheFailoverRunner - -Trouble trying to deregister old
failover listener prior to restoring th
e primary = kax90070c:1101 <java.rmi.ServerError: Error occurred in server
thread; nested exception is:
        java.lang.OutOfMemoryError>java.rmi.ServerError: Error occurred in
server thread; nested exception is:        java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
        at
sun.rmi.transport.StreamRemoteCall.exceptionReceivedFromServer(StreamRemoteCall.java(Compiled

 Code
))
        at
sun.rmi.transport.StreamRemoteCall.executeCall(StreamRemoteCall.java(Compiled

 Code))
        at sun.rmi.server.UnicastRef.invoke(UnicastRef.java(Compiled Code))
        at
org.apache.jcs.auxiliary.remote.server.RemoteCacheServer_Stub.removeCacheListener(Unknown

 Source)
        at
org.apache.jcs.engine.CacheWatchRepairable.removeCacheListener(CacheWatchRepairable.java(Compiled

Code))
        at
org.apache.jcs.auxiliary.remote.RemoteCacheManager.removeRemoteCacheListener(RemoteCacheManager.ja

va(Compiled Code))
        at
org.apache.jcs.auxiliary.remote.RemoteCacheFailoverRunner.restorePrimary(RemoteCacheFailoverRunner

.java(Compiled Code))
        at
org.apache.jcs.auxiliary.remote.RemoteCacheFailoverRunner.connectAndRestore(RemoteCacheFailoverRun

ner.java(Compiled Code))
        at
org.apache.jcs.auxiliary.remote.RemoteCacheFailoverRunner.run(RemoteCacheFailoverRunner.java:104)

        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java(Compiled Code))

The error on the remote cache server just says "java.lang.OutOfMemory" with
no additional detail.   The remote cache process does not restart and the
cache appears to continue to function just fine.  This only appears under
conditions of very high load.  Should we turn up logging on these cache
servers in order to get additional detail?   This happens on all 4 of our
remote cache servers from time to time but not on every one, even when we
have done heavy load testing that brings the CPU utilization up to 65% on
an AIX 5.2 server with 8 CPUs and 16 gigs of memory.  The JVM size is 2048,
with about 53% of the memory free on average during the peak utilization.

Our current version of JCS is 1.2.7.3....are any of these error conditions
fixed in a later release?

Thanks for any help.

Paul

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This is a transmission from Kohl's Department Stores, Inc.
and may contain information which is confidential and proprietary.
If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, copying or distribution or
use of the contents of this message is expressly prohibited.
If you have received this transmission in error, please destroy it and
notify us immediately at 262-703-7000.

CAUTION:
Internet and e-mail communications are Kohl's property and Kohl's reserves
the right to retrieve and read any message created, sent and received.
Kohl's reserves the right to monitor messages to or from authorized Kohl's
Associates at any time
without any further consent.