jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From jklame <jl...@qovia.com>
Subject EHCache vs JCSCache
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2006 19:54:29 GMT

Hi,

We've been happily using JCS Cache for a few months and have started to see
a memory leak in our application.    I don't believe our leak has anything
to do with JCS,  but I'm getting pressure to try alternatives,  specifically
EHCache.   Mostly this is due to the following blurb at
http://www.manageability.org/blog/stuff/distributed-cache-java/view

EHCache - A replacement for JCS. EHCache started out as some patches for JCS
to correct threading and memory leak problems. EHCache is faster than JCS.
Acts as a pluggable cache for Hibernate 2.1. Small foot print, both in terms
of size and memory requirements. Implements JCACHE. Implemented by some guys
at ThoughtWorks.

What I'm curious about is exactly what the nature of the JCS threading and
memory leak problems were,  and if and when they were fixed in JCS.   Any
references you could provide would be most helpful.

Thanks,
John