jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From Randy Watler <wat...@wispertel.net>
Subject JDBCDiskCache as Remote Cache
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2006 15:42:43 GMT
We are attempting to use a JDBCDiskCache in a shared mode with multiple
cache clients using it as their backing store. We are also interested in
using the TCPLateralCache in "remove on put" mode to help keep the
clients roughly in sync where their extents overlap, (albeit not at a
transactional level). We are not using a remote cache because each cache
client will have a largely orthogonal working set in relation to the
other clients and that would force the single remote cache to hold a
very large working set for no advantage. Conceptually speaking, we are
attempting to use the JDBCDiskCache as a remote cache instead.

Therein lies a problem though. Because the JDBCDiskCache is in fact a
disk cache, JCS propagates lateral updates as removes to this auxiliary
cache. This ends up actually removing the elements from the
JDBCDiskCache instead of simply removing the items from the memory cache
as would happen if it were a remote cache.

I am wondering if it would be reasonable to allow a JDBCDiskCache to
masquerade as a remote cache by indicating that its cache type is
remote? This would seemingly allow the cache to operate as a "remote"
disk cache. True?

Any comments/tips would be appreciated. Thanks,

Randy