jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From "Denis Pasek" <dpa...@100world.de>
Subject Removing singleton design of JCS
Date Fri, 06 Oct 2006 14:13:42 GMT
Hi,

it would be nice if JCS wouldn't rely on singletons (this mainly affects
the CompositeCacheManager) in the VM / local classloader. Scanning the
source code it should be quite easy to refactor JCS to a POJO based
approach since there are only a few spots where classes rely on the
singleton behaviour of the composite cache manager (eg. remote
listeners). The hooks in the CompositeCacheManager for extension (see
CompositeCacheManager.createInstance() ) won't work since these methods
are static and so don't support polymorphism.

Scanning the Subversion repository I found a branch "removing singleton
core". Does this mean you're already working on a non-singleton version?
If so, is there a planned release date/version for this redesign? Maybe
I can contribute to this refactoring.

I think JCS is really a nice cache und compares very well to EHCache and
especially JBossCache. I've worked with these two competitors before.
EHCache is ok, but JBossCache is quite a disaster. It has tons of
dependencies and the source code is a real mess.

Denis