jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From "Vladimir Olenin" <VOle...@cihi.ca>
Subject disk cache files lock on JVM abort
Date Tue, 26 Sep 2006 19:19:41 GMT
Hi,

I ran into one issue with JCS under Windows platform (not sure if the
same is valid for Linux/Unix systems - most probably not). When JVM is
aborted (process is 'hard killed'), the JCS doesn't have a chance to
shutdown properly This results in the Disk cache files being locked on
JVM restart (I've setup the JCS so that it'd invalidate whatever
information is available in the cache). I'm getting the messages like:

... Trying to delete xxx.data.0
... Trying to delete xxx.data.1
... Trying to delete xxx.data.2
... Trying to delete xxx.data.3
... Trying to delete xxx.data.9

(not sure about the correct spelling don't have the stack trace at
hand). So, it seems like the system is trying to acquire a lock on the
files, but fails. You can NOT delete these files from Windows Explorer
as well (I'm getting 'sharing violation - this file can be in use'
error).

I wonder if there are any workarounds or what is the timeframe during
which Windows holds the lock on the files (I'm pretty sure it should
expire at some point...)

Thanks.

Vlad