jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From Paul.Lewandow...@kohls.com
Subject RE: some newbie user questions
Date Wed, 16 Aug 2006 13:14:54 GMT
We ran into this same issue.  The problem lies in the shutdown method
itself calling the method that defaults to the RMI port 1099.  You need to
modify the shutdown method to call the method that will accept a port of
your choice and then it will work.  This will still throw an exception but
it will shutdown.  We modified the JCS code further to ignore the exception
because it is due to another part of the code which tries to make a call
after the actual shutdown occurs, therefore, you get an exception.  If you
do the same thing you should not have a problem with getting this task to
work.

As another note, however, we are having problems in our production
environment when using the shutdown method in this manner while there is
site traffic.  From time to time we are getting core and java dumps when
executing the modified shutdown process.  Sometime this week we will be
figuring out why this is occuring and further modifying the JCS code.  In
the meantime, we have gone back to using the "kill" method which works
fine.

Hope this helps.

Paul

             "Horton Simon"
             <Simon.Horton@uk.
             mizuho-sc.com>                                             To
                                       "JCS Users List"
             08/16/2006 03:27          <jcs-users@jakarta.apache.org>

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         RE: some newbie user questions
             "JCS Users List"
             <jcs-users@jakart
               a.apache.org>

HI,

Sorry to hop onto your discussion Russell and ask a question, but,
reading the following from Aaron:

>The remote cache client does not shutdown
>properly, forcing you to kill the application.

Are there any plans to fix this in the next release? If so, do you have
a rough idea of when this might be fixed, I would appreciate it if you
could tell me.

This bug bear is making things messy for a production application
shutdown.

Cheers,
Simon