jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From Russell East <re...@esri.com>
Subject Re: some newbie user questions
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2006 20:51:25 GMT
Hello,
I've just started using JCS within a signed Web Start client
application.  It will be possible for an end-user to start up several
instances of this client application on the same machine.  JCS seems to
work fine generally speaking.    I am using it to store http data that I
download on behalf of the end-user.  I want to basically use it for
something like a browser cache, so my code uses LRU plus the Indexed
Disk Cache plugin.   Couple of questions:
    1) I suppose that only one application instance at a time, on a
particular computer, can reliably use a jcs region, right?
    2) is there any code to synch access to the same cache region within
2 or more apps running on the same machine?
    3) when the application ends, I call JCS.dispose() which takes
several seconds to complete, presumably defragging the cache data - is
there a way to prevent defragging upon dispose?   Would it be advisable
to do that?
    4) correspondingly, is there a way to flush memory to disk every now
and then, not necessarily defragging?

That'll will do for starters I think - thanks in advance.   j
-- Russell