jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From Aaron Smuts <asm...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: configuration question
Date Mon, 28 Aug 2006 13:32:52 GMT

--- Vladimir Olenin <VOlenin@cihi.ca> wrote:

> Thanks. It seems to work now. I wonder if 'UPDATE'
> policy is set, does
> 'MaxPurgatorySize' property has any effect then?

Yes.  In JCS mythology, purgatory is simply a queue on
the way to disk, where the items can be accessed.
It's a map on top of a queue.  All items that go to
disk, go to the queue.  You can set a limit on the
queue size regardless of the disk usage pattern.

> What's the lifecycle of
> cache element with UPDATE policy? Does it go just
> between 'memory' and
> 'dc'? (if not found in memory, load from disk and
> put in memory cache,
> expiring some entries from memory on the way if
> necessary)?

When the item is put into the cache for the first time
it goes to disk as well as memory (if the max memory
size is greater than 0).  If the item is later now in
memory and is retrieved from disk, it will go back
into memory, but it should will still be on disk.  If
the item is evicted from memory, because, let's say,
it falls off the LRU, then it will NOT be put to disk
again.  This prevents thrashing.   . . .

(I want to make another pattern called PRIMARY where
the items just go to disk until they are accessed yet
again . . .)

http://jakarta.apache.org/jcs/IndexedDiskAuxCache.html

> > You should probably run with the cacheattributes
> properly called
> > DiskUsagePatternName=UPDATE.  This will cause the
> items to go to disk
> > when they are added to the cache instead of when
> they fall out of the
> > Memory cache.
> >
> > If you are going to flood the cache with items,
> then don't set a
> > purgatory limit, or set it to the number you will
> be adding if it is
> > known.
> >
> > Aaron
> >
> > --- Vladimir Olenin <VOlenin@cihi.ca> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi.
> > >
> > > I need to configure JCS in the following manner:
> > >
> > > - need to load 100K entries into the cache
> > > - NONE of the entries are allowed to be expired
> > (ie, ALL must be
> > > eternal)
> > > - have to keep in memory not more than 1000
> > entries at a time
> > > - the rest entries should be swapped to disk
> > automatically
> > >
> > > What is the default setting that would work the
> > best? The current
> > > configuration I use is below and it seem to
> work.
> > I can't quite figure
> >
> > > out the meaning of 'MaxPurgatorySize' property.
> > From the docs I
> > > understood that it's just the size of the 'disk
> > purge' queue. But the
> > > tests show that if it's a positive number, then
> > the entries start to
> > > be 'expired' from the cache (eg, if set to 1000
> it
> > seems like only a
> > > small fraction of 100K entries remains in cache
> > and some of the
> > > entries put in the cache become missing for
> sure,
> > since jcs.get
> > > returns null).
> > >
> > > Thanks!.
> > >
> > > ===========================================
> > > jcs.default = DC_SMALL_FOOTPRINT
> > > jcs.default.cacheattributes =
> > > org.apache.jcs.engine.CompositeCacheAttributes
> > > jcs.default.cacheattributes.MaxObjects = 1000
> > > jcs.default.cacheattributes.MemoryCacheName =
> > > org.apache.jcs.engine.memory.lru.LRUMemoryCache

jcs.auxiliary.DC_SMALL_FOOTPRINT=org.apache.jcs.auxiliary.disk.indexed.I
> > > ndexedDiskCacheFactory

jcs.auxiliary.DC_SMALL_FOOTPRINT.attributes=org.apache.jcs.auxiliary.dis
> > > k.indexed.IndexedDiskCacheAttributes

jcs.auxiliary.DC_SMALL_FOOTPRINT.attributes.DiskPath=c:/Projects/Grouper
> > > /temp/jcs

jcs.auxiliary.DC_SMALL_FOOTPRINT.attributes.maxKeySize=-1

jcs.auxiliary.DC_SMALL_FOOTPRINT.attributes.MaxPurgatorySize=-1