jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From Paul.Lewandow...@kohls.com
Subject Re: Core dump on remote cache server
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2006 13:09:52 GMT
Sorry for the delay in the response...I've been out on vacation.

Yes, we are using an IBM JDK 1.3.1 SR5w.   The load on the application
servers(2) was 1400 virtual users (Mercury Interactive LoadRunner).
Verbose GC was on and there did not appear to be any problems in the log on
the caching server.  After a review of the core dump by our UNIX people
they felt that this might have been due to a lack of disk space in a
particular directory on the caching server.  Since freeing up the disk
space the problem has not occured again.

When I spoke of this to other some other people that have used JCS they
also said they had experienced core dumps but I'm uncertain as to what JDK
they were on.

If this occurs again I will let you know.

Thanks.

Paul

             Aaron Smuts
             <asmuts@yahoo.com
                                       JCS Users List
             06/30/2006 07:40          <jcs-users@jakarta.apache.org>

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         Re: Core dump on remote cache
             "JCS Users List"          server
             <jcs-users@jakart
               a.apache.org>

Sounds like a bug in the VM, a problem making some
native call, or something similar.  What jvm are you
using?  (java -version) Are you running under an IBM
jvm?  Haven't seen anything like this since working
with Java on z/os on a mainframe.  . . .

How many clients do you have again, 4?  What kind of
load were ou genreating?  I remember you saying that
you had a 2 GB max heap size.  That might be
excessive.  Do you have verbosegc turned on
(-verbosegc at the command line)?  Was it using the
entire amount of memory allocated?

I run the remote server backed by MySQL using the JDBC
disk cache.  I only give my server 128MB and I put
tens of millions of items into it and pull about 1/3
of that our of it every day. . . .