jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From Paul.Lewandow...@kohls.com
Subject Re: How to disable system.gc() calls every 60 seconds
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2006 18:32:29 GMT
Just to let you know, adding the Java command line
-Dsun.rmi.dgc.server.gcInterval=3600000 to the remote server did not stop
the 60 second system.gc()s.

Paul

             Paul.Lewandowski@
             kohls.com
             06/14/2006 12:36          "JCS Users List"
             PM                        <jcs-users@jakarta.apache.org>
                                                                        cc

             "JCS Users List"          Re: How to disable system.gc()
             <jcs-users@jakart         calls every 60 seconds
               a.apache.org>

Thank you.

The default of one hour starts with JDK 6.0 (Mustang) but the reference you
gave me allows the setting of this value for any JDK using the Java command
line option of -Dsun.rmi.dgc.server.gcInterval=3600000 for 1 hour.  The
reference document for this is located at
http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6200091.

You might want to also add to your documentation something else that has
change in regard to RMI defaults.  Starting with JDK 1.3.1 SR7 and JDK
1.4.2 the RMI connection pooling is turned OFF by default.  In order to
turn this on you need to add the Java command line option of
-Dsun.rmi.transport.tcp.connectionPool=true.

Paul

             Aaron Smuts
             <asmuts@yahoo.com
                                       JCS Users List
             06/14/2006 11:28          <jcs-users@jakarta.apache.org>

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         Re: How to disable system.gc()
             "JCS Users List"          calls every 60 seconds
             <jcs-users@jakart
               a.apache.org>

I cannot find any call to System.gc in the src/java
directory.  I don't think this is the cause.  What is
the symptom, you see gc every 60 seconds?  That's an
RMI default setting:

"Default GC interval lengthed to one hour (6200091)
    In previous releases, the maximum interval between
garbage collections of the local heap enforced by the
RMI implementation (while there are live remote
references or exported remote objects), which is
controlled by the system properties
sun.rmi.dgc.client.gcInterval and
sun.rmi.dgc.server.gcInterval, was one minute by
default. The default interval is now one hour, to
better accommodate applications with large heap sizes
without special configuration."

see:
https://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/guide/rmi/relnotes.html