jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From Paul.Lewandow...@kohls.com
Subject Re: How to disable system.gc() calls every 60 seconds
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2006 17:03:19 GMT
I found the answer by re-reading the RUN article more carefully.  The trick
is to have BOTH the "client" and "server" statements present to disable the
RMI calls.  Here are the two commands:

-Dsun.rmi.dgc.client.gcInterval=600000

-Dsun.rmi.dgc.server.gcInterval=600000

According to the article, SUN is considering setting these defaults to
36000000 (1 hour) but others on the Internet say this could cause a GC
pause as long as 60 seconds so I'm going to experiment starting with 600000
(5 minutes).  If I find another setting that is more optimal with JCS I
will let you know.

I also found another reference on the Internet saying the the
-Xdisableexplicitgc setting will not stop this RMI invoked system.gc() call
from taking place;  don't know if that is a defect or not but I have
someone at IBM looking at it.

Thanks again for your help.

Paul

             Aaron Smuts
             <asmuts@yahoo.com
                                       JCS Users List
             06/14/2006 11:28          <jcs-users@jakarta.apache.org>

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         Re: How to disable system.gc()
             "JCS Users List"          calls every 60 seconds
             <jcs-users@jakart
               a.apache.org>

I cannot find any call to System.gc in the src/java
directory.  I don't think this is the cause.  What is
the symptom, you see gc every 60 seconds?  That's an
RMI default setting:

"Default GC interval lengthed to one hour (6200091)
    In previous releases, the maximum interval between
garbage collections of the local heap enforced by the
RMI implementation (while there are live remote
references or exported remote objects), which is
controlled by the system properties
sun.rmi.dgc.client.gcInterval and
sun.rmi.dgc.server.gcInterval, was one minute by
default. The default interval is now one hour, to
better accommodate applications with large heap sizes
without special configuration."

see:
https://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/guide/rmi/relnotes.html