jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>
Subject Re: Time for a release, new JCS Site Docs, new and Minor Version, new JDBC disk cache
Date Tue, 18 Apr 2006 06:34:45 GMT
Smuts, Aaron wrote:
> Now that we have three votes in favor of a release, how do we proceed?

Typical voting process:

    * Usually the call for vote would be announced on the dev rather
      than the user list - voters are more likely to be subscribed to
      dev than user.
    * The subject of the call for vote should be prefixed with "[vote]"
      to draw attention to it.
    * The call for vote should specify a duration - 72 hours appears to
      be customary, however as the weekend is for many a long one (here
      in Australia we had a 4 day weekend) the vote duration should
      probably have been longer.
    * You don't just stop when you have 3 votes as you need to allow for
      -1 votes right up until the end.
    * According to http://jakarta.apache.org/site/decisions.html only a
      lazy consensus is required in order to approve a release plan,
      however majority approval with no less than 3 +1 votes from PMC
      members is required to do the actual release ("Release Testing").
    * The result of the actual release vote needs to be summarised to
      the PMC mailing list.

I think you could call your current vote a release plan.  I suggest you
issue a call for vote on jcs-dev (example:
http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-dev%40jakarta.apache.org/msg69561.html).
I will nominate you (Aaron) to the PMC once you issue the call for vote
and draw the attention to the vote in progress.  This will mean that you
will not have a binding vote on the release, but should be able to next
time (assuming the vote gets through).  I am happy to nominate Hanson
too if he indicates an interest - we are pretty keen to get active
committers onto the PMC and this has the added benefit that the PMC is
then by default involved in the sub-projects.

As to what to do for the actual release, take a look at
http://www.apache.org/dev/#releases.  I am not sure if the pages linked
to from here mention how to add the file to the maven repository, but
IIRC this is reasonably easy - just a matter of putting the file in the
correct place and it will be picked up and mirrored.

I can mention that some help with performing the release would be
appreciated when I nominate you to the PMC.

I know this seems like a bunch of administration, but this is all
necessary for the protection of the ASF.  Once there is further PMC
involvement in jcs and you have your first official release out it will
be much easier to do so again in the future.

HTH,

Scott

--
Scott Eade