jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From "Travis Savo" <ts...@ifilm.com>
Subject RE: JDK 1.5 support
Date Mon, 06 Mar 2006 23:07:34 GMT
Generics: Having a Cache that will only accept a specific interface and
will always return results by that interface will eliminate the cast
from Object every time you use a cache.

Right now, if you screw up the cast, you'll find out at runtime (aka in
production). If you change it to be generic, your compiler will tell you
when you've done something wrong (aka when you build the code).

And if you don't care, nothing changes about your code. It's a win-win
all around.

-----Original Message-----
From: Smuts, Aaron [mailto:Aaron.Smuts@travelocity.com]
Sent: Monday, March 06, 2006 2:54 PM
To: JCS Users List
Subject: RE: JDK 1.5 support

JCS is still 1.3 compliant!  For years JCS has used the util concurrent
library that was incorporated into the JDK1.5.   . . .

I'm not particularly interested in using 1.5 features in JCS at this
time, but I'd like to know what the benefits would be.  Perhaps there
are some good reasons that escape me.  Please let me know.

Hanson worked on an experimental 1.5 cache.  It's in the experimental
source directory.

Cheers,

Aaron