jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From "Smuts, Aaron" <Aaron.Sm...@travelocity.com>
Subject RE: Using JCS in load balanced environment.
Date Thu, 09 Feb 2006 22:37:28 GMT
Whether or not there is a load balancer in front of the application that
is doing the caching might be irrelevant.  I can't imagine a web app
without one . . .

I suppose what you want is to distribute the cached data so that if a
user gets routed to another machine the data will be there.  Needless to
say, but this will only scale so far . . . .  There are lots of ways to
grow, such as extracting out a service than handles access to some bit
of data and then try to distribute across the machines in that service.
. .

Depending on your size, you might find that the simplest solution is to
use sticky load balancing, but to build your application such that it
does not require sticky load balancing to work.  That is, use the cache
as a non-definitive store:  Always be able to retrieve the data if it is
not in the cache.  If you have sticky load balancing then you can use
the cache as an optimization but not a necessity.

If your problem is just with trying to keep data consistent  . . .  then
you should try the TCP lateral cache with UDP discovery enabled.  Do not
allow gets, only puts and removes.    . .  Take a look at the site docs
for more information . ..

Cheers,

Aaron