jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From "Hanson Char" <hanson.c...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Getting the latest JCS jar
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2006 05:15:55 GMT
On 1/3/06, Robin Sharma <preska2000@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>   I downloaded the latest JCS jar (jcs-1.2.6.8.jar)
> from
> http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta/jcs/trunk/tempbuild/
>
> I found out that it is dependent on
> EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent package written by
> Doug Lea.
>
> I did not find any jar containing the
> EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent package.
>
> My question is:
> 1. Do I have to build the jar from Doug Lea's source
> and place it in the classpath or Is there any other
> way?

I believe you can easily download the necessary jar from Doug's web site.
(I think if you build JCS via maven the jar will be auto downloaded.)  What
JCS should do, IMO, is to at least upgrade to use the backport version
instead of this pretty old jar.

2. Now that we have java.util.concurrent package in
> J2SE 5.0,
>    Should JCS use java.util.concurrent instead of
> EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent package.

You are right if JCS is upgraded to use JDK5.  Sadly it's still being
written for pre JDK5 applications.

Any clue will be highly appreciated.