jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From "Joe Reger, Jr." <reg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Access to Cache Keys, Groups Performance Questions
Date Sun, 09 Oct 2005 23:59:42 GMT
Hi Aaron!

Thanks for the feedback. I'm using JCS to distribute user session data
across web servers. In the main usage scenario I'm certainly not requesting
keys from the cache. A cookie holds the key and I simply request the session
data I need from the cache when I need it.

However, there's a back-end sysadmin screen that lists out the active
sessions, who's logged-in, what they're looking at, etc. To build that
screen I need to get a list of sessions in the cache dynamically. It's not a
mission-critical screen, but one that sysadmins appreciate greatly. I
currently have everything working the way I want it to with the
getFromGroup() and putToGroup() methods... I'm just wondering if there's an
easier way to do it without the performance overhead of the group... which
I'm not really using for any level of indexing, per se.

Let me know if this makes sense. I appreciate your help!

You mention that in the remote distribution model, the local caches don't
have a clue what all the keys are in the system. My hope is that I can use
JCS to distribute session data so that I don't have to implement sticky
sessions at the network level. Is this a valid use case for JCS, or is the
lateral/remote distribution too slow for web apps?

Best,

Joe