jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From "Hoying, Ken" <KHoy...@tiaa-cref.org>
Subject RE: Cache Size
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2005 19:03:07 GMT

If I were to serialize the objects to my file system, would the file size give me a reasonably
approximation of cache size or not?

-----Original Message-----
From: Smuts, Aaron [mailto:Aaron.Smuts@travelocity.com]
Sent: Friday, September 23, 2005 2:52 PM
To: JCS Users List
Subject: RE: Cache Size

There is no method to get the size in bytes.  You can only approximate.
The admin bean used by the JCSAdmin.jsp writes the objects to a counting
output stream to get a rough idea of how much memory a region is using,
but there is no way to configure the cache to limit the size in bytes of
a region.

There is no way to accurately determine how much memory an object takes,
at least no way to get close that would not be too expensive to use.

We could put some limits on the cache using the memory size fuctions
available in the System class in jdk1.4, but this still wouldn't give
you the control you want.

Aaron

method.
> However, this is not working for me.  I always get 0.  What am I doing
> wrong?
>
> BTW..  I am using the LRUMemoryCache.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Ken

> This message, including any attachments, contains confidential
information
> intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by
law.
> If you are not the intended recipient, please contact sender
immediately
> by reply e-mail and destroy all copies.  You are hereby notified that
any
> disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of
any
> action based on it, is strictly prohibited.
> TIAA-CREF

TIAA-CREF