jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From Aaron Smuts <asm...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Cache Size
Date Sun, 25 Sep 2005 23:29:38 GMT
The getstatistics method returns information on the
number of items in the cache, the number of hits and
misses, and for each auxiliary it includes similar
information, such as queue sizes.  The data is not
rigorously structured, but it can be parsed.
Basically you get back a collection of Stat objects
that have name value pairs.

The JCSAdmin servlet will give you a rough size
indicator.  You can also use the AdminBean that is in
the access package to get the data directly.

What exactly are you trying to do?

Aaron

--- "Hoying, Ken" <KHoying@tiaa-cref.org> wrote:

> Thank you for the response.
>
> I certainly understand how adding size as a
> restriction would be very performance limiting.  I
> was just hoping that I could fins a way to run in
> debug where I could get the size and then use this
> data to more accurately determine how many objects I
> should allow in the cache.
>
> What kind of data does getStatistics() provide?
> Does this not return size either?  I noticed this
> method in the LRUMemoryCache.  The version of JCS
> that I am currently using does not seem to have this
> method though.
>
> I tried to switch to JCS 1.2.6.  However, I am now
> getting the error:
> java.lang.NullPointerException
> 	at java.io.Reader.<init>(Reader.java:61)
> 	at

java.io.InputStreamReader.<init>(InputStreamReader.java:80)
> 	at java.util.Properties.load(Properties.java:266)
> 	at

org.apache.jcs.engine.control.CompositeCacheManager.configure(CompositeCacheManager.java:170)
> 	at
> org.apache.jcs.JCS.ensureCacheManager(JCS.java:103)
> 	at org.apache.jcs.JCS.getInstance(JCS.java:63)
> 	at

org.tiaa.j2eeinfra.cache.impl.TiaaJCSCacheFactory.accessCache(Unknown