jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From "Hanson Char" <hanson_c...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: diff between Remote Cache and Lateral TCP Cache
Date Sat, 19 Jun 2004 10:41:18 GMT
>The objective is to have a distributed index.
>If you put locally from a lateral get, your duplicating the index.

1) If two nodes try to access the same cache item at about the same time for
the first time (ie the cache item is not yet in any peer nodes), the cache
item will become be locally put in both nodes, and both nodes would think
that they are the owner of the very same cache item.  So the "cache idex"
will have "duplicate" anyway.

2) Why does it matter if the index is duplicated ?  What purposes/benefits
does a duplicate index (which can not be perfectly avoided anyway due to
(1)) serve/provide ?

3) I would think speed is of first priority in a caching system.  That's
what a cache system is for in the first place!

Hanson