jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From "Estefano Eduardo" <eduardo.estef...@siemens.com>
Subject RE: Out of memory problem
Date Fri, 07 May 2004 07:42:50 GMT
We also started getting out of memory errors. Same situation, only after
we started using the jcs library (I have latest copy from main trunk).

We did not pin point the error yet though. It did not happen straight
away, only after the server was running for a few days. The solution is
to restart the server at the moment. We only use memory cache and we do
use schrinkers on some regions.

-----Original Message-----
From: Aaron Smuts [mailto:aasmuts@wisc.edu]
Sent: Thursday, 06 May, 2004 19:52
To: 'Turbine JCS Users List'
Subject: RE: Out of memory problem

Matthew informs me that the problem seems to go away with the shrinker
off.

This suggests a problem with the memory shrinker.  It could be that the
thread is maintaining a reference to the keys, the spooling from the
shrinker is problematic, or there is a problem generating the list of
keys.

I don't think any of these things is happening, so I'm sort of at a loss
for an explanation.

I think the shrinker just sleeps for an interval.  Perhaps it would be
better to use a timer and start the shrinker and then let it die.  One
concern with this is that we wouldn't want more than one shrinker
running per region at any given time.  This could happen say if the
number of elements was huge and the interval between shrinks was very
small.  I can solve that by passing in a lock that will prevent a second
shrinker from running.

Hmmn.  I'll look into it again.

Aaron

memory