jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From Travis Savo <ts...@IFILM.com>
Subject Moving forward with JCS
Date Fri, 02 Apr 2004 20:21:54 GMT
Just a little brainstorming... feel free to correct me if I'm off track
here.

Documents that are in desperate need of writing:
Using Remote Cache: Step by step guide for using Remote Cache (because it's
harder than it looks!), how it works, when to use it, and when it won't do
what you expect it to. (I've already started on this one and expect to have
it soon)
Using Lateral Cache: Step by step guide for using Lateral Cache, how it
works, and when to use it.

What's still needed before I'd consider this 'stable and mature':
Get my patches for LRU, Remote, Disk cache, and stastics gathering back into
CVS.
Unit tests to test expiration, idle, and max objects with precision, and
accompanying cache.ccf configurations.
Unit tests for Remote Cache (tricky, but doable).
Unit tests for Lateral Cache.
Unit tests for the Read/Write locking semantics.
More people to run the unit tests, and try it in new and interesting ways.
(Please help!)
Optional Disk Persistence over reboots via cache.ccf configuration (see
prior posts for more info).

Moving forward:
The CacheEventQueues (and everywhere else this is done) should probably stop
using hand-rolled linked lists in favor of an FIFO buffer implementation a
little more standard and less bug prone (commons-collections perhaps?). This
should help to clean up the code a bit.

Comments? Questions? Screams of agony?

If no one has any objections I'll be posting these things as I complete
them, but anyone can feel free to jump in and tackle one of these, or
suggest some others, or say why what I'm suggesting is a Bad Thing(tm).

-Travis Savo