jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From Matthew Cooke <mpcoo...@lineone.net>
Subject Re: Additional problems.
Date Tue, 27 Apr 2004 11:37:36 GMT
Aaron.

That's fair enough and I can understand. However, I am a little annoyed
in general about the unclear status of the JCS project and this isn't
aimed at you in particular I don't know who is responsible for the JCS
website and maintaining releases.

With regards to the "supported" version:

LTCP is still documented on the website and is definitely broken. Under
high load you start to receive values back for the *previously*
requested key.
I therefore couldn't use the 'supported' version  as it was broken and I
didn't have time to look into it.

The Apache Jakarta project is quite well known for their quality
projects but the release version of JCS  (at least 3 weeks ago) was very
buggy, and it's not just my experience with the LTCP auxiliary judging
by this mailing list.
No where on the website is the JCS project marked as unstable and LTCP
was not in the experimental package.

So regardless of whether the fixes from Travis were applied to the CVS
version I think that the website should be updated to indicate that the
released version of JCS is not stable or at a bare minimum the LTCP
cache is not stable.

You get the impression from the website that this is a stable project
and would assume that their are at least no show stopping bugs such as
getting wrong values for a key. It's not fair that new people using JCS
are download JCS and  only after using it in a production enviroment
discover the bugs. Then like me, they will possibly sign up to the
mailing to list and find that it's already known that lot's of other
people are having problems with JCS. Probably also like me they will get
a great sinking feeling and start applying random patches that show up
on the JCS mailing list in a desperate attempt to keep things working.

It's this situation that forced me into using some branched version of
JCS in the first place - I certainly didn't want to integrate some
non-standard version of JCS.

Please don't take all this as a rant as I am being serious. At least
until most of the critical bugs are worked out, I think the website
should be updated to reflect the unstable nature of the code.

---
On a separate note:
I would like to know if Travis's changes are going to be applied and if
not, is there a working distribution mechanism in CVS now?
If Travis's code needs unit tests and this is holding things back, I
could help out.

Matt.