jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From "Sjoquist, Carl" <cs230...@exchange.DAYTONOH.NCR.com>
Subject general question on JCS
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2003 14:57:17 GMT
Greetings
The website positions JCS as a "front-tier" cache.  Is there any reason that
JCS also can't be used in the app tier as well?  What is the general policy
for thread sync in JCS?  Is JCS generally free threaded, i.e. not thread
safe?
Also, I'd be interested to hear about people doing any kind of heavy-duty,
commercial app use of JCS.  I'm trying to determine where things are in
terms of stability, reliability, et al...
Thanks much

from the website:
JCS is a front-tier cache that can be configured to maintain consistency
across multiple servers by using a centralized remote server or by lateral
distribution of cache updates. Other caches, like the Javlin EJB data cache,
are basically in-memory databases that sit between your EJB's and your
database. Rather than trying to speed up your slow EJB's, you can avoid most
of the network traffic and the complexity by implementing JCS front-tier
caching. Centralize your EJB access or your JDBC data access into local
managers and perform the caching there.