jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From Aaron Smuts <aasm...@wisc.edu>
Subject RE: general question on JCS
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2003 20:13:54 GMT
Some notes on thread usage in JCS:

All puts to lateral caches are done in background threads.  The indexed
disk cache uses a two stage process, putting elements in a purgatory
before disk storage.  Recovery of auxiliary caches occurs in background
threads.  Auxiliaries are wrapped in balking methods that zombie the
auxiliary until recovery if there is a problem.  Diagnostic methods,
like getting a list of the elements in the map fail fast rather than
block.  Memory shrinking uses background threads.

Aaron

synchronization?

It
> can
> be configured to be relatively light weight if needed.
>
> At Ludicorp, we are using JCS for a massively multi-player online game
> (http://www.gameneverending.com).  The game is still in development,
but
> beta testers have been using it for as long as 20 days without a
reboot
> and
> without any sign of a memory leak.  Ultimately, we plan to support
> hundreds
> of thousands of simultaneous users, probably several thousand very
active
> users per server machine.  So, eventually, our app will be
> heavy duty.
> Game players exercise a game server more intensely than web users
exercise
> web server.  For example, there is more object updating going on and
also
> we
> are pushing events to the game client quite frequently.
>
> JCS is used in Hibernate, which is fairly popular, though I don't know
of
> specific heavy duty commerical app that uses it.
>
> JBoss Group has recently said they would incorporate Hibernate into
their
> project, so I wonder if that means they will include JCS as well. (?)
>
> Cheers,
> Craig
>
> Sjoquist, Carl wrote:
>
> >Greetings
> >The website positions JCS as a "front-tier" cache.  Is there any
reason
> >that JCS also can't be used in the app tier as well?  What is the
> >general policy for thread sync in JCS?  Is JCS generally free
threaded,
> >i.e. not thread safe? Also, I'd be interested to hear about people
> >doing any kind of heavy-duty, commercial app use of JCS.  I'm trying
> >determine where things are in terms of stability, reliability, et
al...
> >Thanks much
> >
> >from the website:
> >JCS is a front-tier cache that can be configured to maintain
> >consistency across multiple servers by using a centralized remote
> >server or by lateral distribution of cache updates. Other caches,
like
> >the Javlin EJB data cache, are basically in-memory databases that sit
> >between your EJB's and your database. Rather than trying to speed up
> >your slow EJB's, you can avoid most of the network traffic and the
> >complexity by implementing JCS front-tier caching. Centralize your
EJB