jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Rosenbaum <drosenb...@yahoo.com>
Subject Memory test
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2003 01:25:49 GMT
Hi all,

I am testing JCS to see how it handles memory.  The following is
a snippet of my code and config file:

for(int i=0; i < 200000000; i++) {
  Vector vec = new Vector();
  testCache.put("testkey"+i, vec);
}

# DEFAULT CACHE REGION (memory cache)
jcs.default=DC
jcs.default.cacheattributes=org.apache.jcs.engine.CompositeCacheAttributes
jcs.default.cacheattributes.MaxObjects=2000
jcs.default.cacheattributes.MemoryCacheName=org.apache.jcs.engine.memory.lru.LRUMemoryCache
jcs.default.cacheattributes.UseMemoryShrinker=true
jcs.default.cacheattributes.ShrinkerIntervalSeconds=60
jcs.default.elementattributes=org.apache.jcs.engine.ElementAttributes
jcs.default.elementattributes.IsEternal=false
jcs.default.elementattributes.MaxLifeSeconds=43200
jcs.default.elementattributes.IsSpool=true
jcs.default.elementattributes.IsRemote=false
jcs.default.elementattributes.IsLateral=false

#Auxiliary CACHE (disk cache)
jcs.auxiliary.DC=org.apache.jcs.auxiliary.disk.indexed.IndexedDiskCacheFactory
jcs.auxiliary.DC.attributes=org.apache.jcs.auxiliary.disk.indexed.IndexedDiskCacheAttributes
jcs.auxiliary.DC.attributes.DiskPath=jcscache

jcs.region.testCache=DC
jcs.region.testCache.cacheattributes=org.apache.jcs.engine.CompositeCacheAttributes
jcs.region.testCache.cacheattributes.MaxObjects=50
jcs.region.testCache.cacheattributes.MemoryCacheName=org.apache.jcs.engine.memory.lru.LRUMemoryCache
jcs.region.testCache.cacheattributes.UseMemoryShrinker=true
jcs.region.testCache.cacheattributes.ShrinkerIntervalSeconds=60
jcs.region.testCache.elementattributes=org.apache.jcs.engine.ElementAttributes
jcs.region.testCache.elementattributes.IsEternal=false
jcs.region.testCache.elementattributes.MaxLifeSeconds=43200
jcs.region.testCache.elementattributes.IdleTime=43200
jcs.region.testCache.elementattributes.IsSpool=true
jcs.region.testCache.elementattributes.IsRemote=false
jcs.region.testCache.elementattributes.IsLateral=false

When I run this code the memory on my system goes down very
quickly.  I expected that after the first 50 elements it would
start putting items on disk and removing them from memory but
this does not seem to be happening.  I see the file on disk
getting increasingly bigger but memory still keeps going,
leading me to believe that the elements are not getting garbage
collected or was never freed.  Am I doing something incorrectly?

Thanks,
Daniel