jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From Brett Bandy <brett.ba...@nuasis.com>
Subject RE: Disk cache persistence
Date Mon, 30 Dec 2002 19:06:22 GMT
There is also a problem with the way the CompositeCache is disposed of, at
least when dealing with auxiliary IndexedDiskCache.

CompositeCache.dispose(boolean) writes all elements from MemoryCache to
auxiliary cache (via aux.update()).  The aux.update() method adds elements
to purgatory before writing them to the aux cache.  It then immediately
disposes of the auxiliary cache (aux.dispose()).  The problem occurs because
the doDispose() method is called before all the elements have been flushed
from purgatory.  There is actually a fixme comment in AbstractDiskCache.java
which makes me believe the problem was found, but not dealt with.

-----Original Message-----
From: Brett Bandy [mailto:brett.bandy@nuasis.com]
Sent: Friday, December 27, 2002 11:29 AM
To: 'Turbine JCS Users List'
Subject: RE: Disk cache persistence

I think I've found a bug dealing with this issue...

jakarta-turbine-jcs/src/java/org/apache/jcs/auxiliary/disk/AbstractDiskCache
.java

the dispose() method sets the alive flag to false and then calls
doDispose().  For IndexedDiskCache.java the first thing done is to check the
alive flag:

if ( !alive )
{
    log.debug( "Not alive and dispose was called, filename: " +
        fileName );
    return;
}

Since it is always set prior to doDispose() it will always be false.  The
simple fix is to move doDispose() call (in AbstractDiskCache.java) above the
alive = false statement.

Brett