jakarta-jcs-users mailing list archives

From Paul Snively <psniv...@IFILM.com>
Subject JCS Lateral TCP Auxiliary Cache Scalability
Date Tue, 10 Dec 2002 00:05:31 GMT
Gentlemen,

As you may recall, we are evaluating the use of the combination of Hibernate
and JCS for a redeployment of IFILM.com, a massively-trafficked streaming
media distribution site on the Internet. Naturally, we have questions as to
exactly how some of the infrastructure that we would like to be able to rely
on works under particularly demanding scenarios. At the moment, the
important question before us is how JCS' Lateral TCP Auxiliary Cache
implements its put operations. Does it fork a thread per socket connection
to lateral cache, does it do a broadcast to the subnet, does it do a
multicast...? We received feedback from one gentleman earlier who uses the
lateral cache with two machines. Has anyone used it with 10? 20? 30? Are
there either known or anticipated issues with scaling to this level? Any
insights based upon experience are greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Paul Snively