jakarta-jcs-dev mailing list archives

From "Tim Cronin" <tcro...@interwoven.com>
Subject JCS Cache / Hibernate Cache Provider.
Date Fri, 11 Aug 2006 15:56:06 GMT
Forwarding this for a coworker for wider response

________________________________

From: Shanon Levenherz
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 10:13 AM
To: 'asmuts@apache.org'
Subject: JCS Cache / Hibernate Cache Provider.

Hi Aaron,

I'm a technical architect with Interwoven, an Enterprise Content
Management software company.   We are currently looking at using JCS in
one of our distributed Java web applications that also uses Hibernate.
I've been reading around on different forums about JCS vs the rest of
the open-source caching systems and we'd like to consider it as an
option, but are a bit worried about the history ( deprecated from
Hibernate API as of 2.1.1 ).

While I have looked around the web for some time, I can't seem to find
any other good references on JCS; in fact I find some saying that it had
a decent amount of bugs, esp. from one "soft-spoken" Gavin King.   While
I know that Gavin tends to go off the deep end sometimes, I'd really
like to get your honest opinion on JCS/Hibernate integration.  I've read
your posts that those bugs have been fixed and also the performance
comparison b/t JCS and EHCache ( now supported by Hibernate ), so that's
a good start.

Also, are there plans for writing a supported Hibernate CacheProvider
impl?   I know that there's one in pre-2.1.1 versions of Hibernte but
the Cache and CacheProvider classes have changed since then.    Coming
with an updated impl out-of-the-box would certainly give people more
good reasons to integrate JCS with Hibernate...

I'd appreciate any information that you can share with us while we
narrow down our provider choices.

Thanks,

Shanon

Shanon Levenherz