jakarta-jcs-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Smuts <asm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: JCS Cache / Hibernate Cache Provider.
Date Fri, 11 Aug 2006 16:22:54 GMT
JCS will decidedly not provide a plugin for hibernate.
 If you want one write it yourself.

As an aside, (even if I used Hibernate) I would never
cache that deep in my data access layer.  In my
applications I provide a caching facade that sits on
top of my DAO's and not underneath.  I want control
over my cache.  Also, all my data doesn't come from a
database.  I talk to dozens of services and I want a
consistent caching layer.  Also, my caching facade
translates the data transfer objects that come from
the various DAO's (db and webservice).  I want to
cache the translated value objects if possible, so I
can't cache that deep.  It's generally bad design to
cache under your dao rather than on top.

. . . About 3 years ago the Hibernate people found a
couple bugs in the cache (which have been fixed for
years now!) and they started ehcache.  This is an old
story that I don't have the time to retrace.  There is
a link on the JCS homepage that compares eh and JCS,
and needless to say JCS is far superior in every way.
. . .

Aaron