jakarta-jcs-dev mailing list archives

From "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <...@intermeta.de>
Subject Re: Official jcs release?
Date Thu, 22 Sep 2005 09:28:55 GMT
Henri Yandell <flamefew@gmail.com> writes:

>*starts listening* :)

>On 9/20/05, Smuts, Aaron <Aaron.Smuts@travelocity.com> wrote:
>> Yes.  I'm in the final stages of some refactoring.   I expect to have
>> everything ready in a few weeks.
>>
>> What kinds of licensing issues might we have?  Can you explain.
>>
>> Aaron

Actually, we should do a bit more than just listen. We don't want a
project to fall into the licensing trap.

Aaron: The problem is, that there are severe licensing issues
surrounding GPL code:

- We must not use any GPL licensed code inside an ASF project. GPL
  licensed means "viral" and would spread the GPL onto our code. So
  if you rely on code that is just GPL licensed (not dual-licensed),
  you _must_ pull that code out. No jar bundling, no class extension,
  no imports, nothing. GPL is evil and we avoid it.

- Lesser GPL (LGPL) is sort of blurred. As this license is not viral,
  we might use it in ASF code (import statements, extend classes etc.)
  but due to Apache policy, we cannot _ship_ any LGPL licensed code
  from Apache servers. This is one reason why Maven put its repository
  on ibiblio and it is also necessary that we control binary distributions
  (like those built by maven) to not contain any LGPL licensed jars.

You might ask now: Why the fuss? Because the ASF wants to make _sure_
that any of our projects can be used by anyone. Unconditionally.
Everyone can download an Apache project, integrate it into a bigger
system and needs not to worry about viral licenses. That is the promise
of the ASF license and unfortunately it is the job of the Apache people
to keep up to this promise.

	Best regards
		henning

		      4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42